Everybody knows that chocolate is bad for dogs, but do you know how much is too much? That 7 raisins could kill your dog? Or that onions are bad for dogs? Or that garlic is also toxic for dogs?
The National Geographic website has a lovely interactive chart on how much white, milk, dark, baking, and powdered chocolate is toxic – and what reaction your dog might have with each amount – vomiting, rapid heartbeats, tremors/seizures, or death. You can select your dog’s weight and it will tell you the amount of chocolate that causes each response in a dog. View it on the National Geographic website.
Another helpful page on that site discusses a few toxic foods: onions, garlic, yeast (as in raw bread dough), alcohol, grapes/raisins, macadamia nuts, and coffee. Or read a story about raisin poisoning in a dog. Raisins and grapes can cause renal failure in dogs. NEVER use raisins or grapes as a treat, because as few as 7 raisins can be toxic for dogs.
Need more ways to worry about your dog? 🙂 Don’t miss the article in the Ahimsa blog on Household toxins and poisonous plants.