Everybody knows that chocolate is bad for dogs, but do you know how much is too much? That 7 raisins could kill your dog? Or that onions are bad for dogs? Or that garlic is also toxic for dogs?
The National Geographic website has a lovely interactive chart on how much white, milk, dark, baking, and powdered chocolate is toxic – and what reaction your dog might have with each amount – vomiting, rapid heartbeats, tremors/seizures, or death. You can select your dog’s weight and it will tell you the amount of chocolate that causes each response in a dog. View it on the National Geographic website.
Another helpful page on that site discusses a few toxic foods: onions, garlic, yeast (as in raw bread dough), alcohol, grapes/raisins, macadamia nuts, and coffee. Or read a story about raisin poisoning in a dog. Raisins and grapes can cause renal failure in dogs. NEVER use raisins or grapes as a treat, because as few as 7 raisins can be toxic for dogs.
Need more ways to worry about your dog? Don’t miss the article in the Ahimsa blog on Household toxins and poisonous plants.Written by Grisha Stewart, Ahimsa Dog Training, Seattle Tweet This Post!