Ahimsa is currently interviewing for two, 15 to 20 hours per week, Administrative/Trainer in Training position, two part-time trainers positions, and 1 full-time trainer position!
The requirements below are for the Trainer Positions. If you do not have all of these required experience or education, please fill out the online form with the strengths and experience that you do have. You may qualify for our trainer in training positions which is a mix of administrative, puppy camp and assisting in classes.
Ahimsa Dog Training, in Seattle Washington, is a dedicated group of professional dog trainers who are committed to using positive training methods. Many members of the Ahimsa team hold advanced degrees. The primary goal at Ahimsa Dog Training is to give our human clients the tools to build communication, mutual respect, and trust with their dogs. We instruct our clients in understanding their dogs, teaching their dogs to understand them, and how to fit training into their busy lives.
Under the direction of the Owner and Senior Class Instructor(s), the dog trainer will participate in the implementation of behavior training programs for puppies and adult dogs to strengthen the human and animal bond through positive training. The following is a list of requirements for the position and the online application.
- Minimum BA or BS
- Karen Pryor Academy (KPA-CTP) or CPDT-KA certifications or equivalent
- Completion of dog training seminars and workshops
- Clicker training experience
- Minimum 2 year previous full time experience teaching positive reinforcement dog training techniques in a group or class setting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, but are not limited to:
- Lead group training classes for dogs and puppies exclusively using positive training methods. This includes the instruction of classes, creation of educational handouts and resources, participation in the evaluation of puppies or dogs, preparation of written lesson plans and homework, progress reports, and hands-on work with animals.
- Assist other Instructors’ implementation of training programs to enrich the animals’ environment, to prevent problem behaviors, and to support human clients as they learn to train their dogs.
- Create behavior modification summaries for clients and other Ahimsa team members.
- Create and deliver formal presentations in Power Point and Google Documents.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with coworkers and clients at all times.
- Accurately and reliably enter notes in the organization’s electronic record keeping system; keep training records and working files as assigned.
- Act as a subject matter expert for and promote Ahimsa Dog Training Program, products and services.
- Attend and complete Ahimsa training provided and attend staff meetings, as scheduled.
- Managing dog play appropriately.
- Follow directions, accept and implement feedback from the Owner and Senior Class Instructor(s)
- Help maintain a clean and safe environment at the Training Center.
- Commitment to working the high demand hours including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Requires well-developed interpersonal skills and the ability to work with people of varying background and cultures by adapting style and tactics to fit the audience.
- Individual must be flexible, work well under pressure and be an active problem-solver.
- Correctly assess canine body language and respond appropriately including managing play.
- Strong ability to inspire and motivate self and others.
- Contribute to a work environment that fosters pride in being part of a supportive team that promotes personal growth.
- Must be comfortable speaking with members of the public, in front of groups, over the telephone, and communicating via email.
- Proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, internet and email, Google calendar and the ability to quickly learn our custom system and have reliable internet, mobile device with texting capability and personal computer access.
- Must have transportation to do in-home private lessons for clients.